Research & Development – Mission
The mission of HFC R&D is providing the technological means for planning, management, protection, response, rescue and mitigation in emergency situations in order to ensure the resilience of the Israeli people during disaster and national-level emergency scenarios.
The Home Front Command is currently involved in both practical (product- and development-oriented) and academic research in the next major areas:
1. Crisis management, situation awareness and disaster resilience.
2. Critical infrastructure protection.
3. Communication technologies and interoperability.
On the practical side, we specify and develop (mostly with the aid of subcontractors) simulation and training tools, USAR equipment, command and control systems, early warning and alerting systems, information systems and more.
Research activities include physical structure analysis, population related issues (effectiveness of public info in cases of emergency, sense of safety in the public etc.)
Specific R&D Areas
The HFC has a large span of responsibilities in areas of crises and disaster resilience, public preparedness etc.
Below are some of relevant areas where we have operational competence, R&D background and interest in further development:
1. Simulation and training – existing and new directions for the usage of serious gaming for training in conventional, HAZMAT and CBRN scenarios.
2. Preparedness for CBRN/HAZMAT scenarios: planning, detection, decision making, decontamination, equipment etc.
3. Urban Search and Rescue (USAR): equipment, international support operations, etc.
4. General building structure and critical infrastructure - incl. risk assessment, vulnerability analysis etc.
5. Command & Control systems for joint operation of first responders and emergency services.
6. Early warning systems, including detection-specific activation, population guidance and cellular broadcast alerts.
7. Civil sector preparedness (regional authorities, governmental agencies etc.) - training, analysis etc.
8. Emergency medicine - planning, training etc.
9. Public-related - monitoring and control in case of local emergency - collapsed building, terror attack etc., addressing the public in emergency.
10. Gas Monitoring Sensors with Sector Coverage & Point Gas Detectors for monitoring uncontrolled release of airborne hazardous substances.